Principais Índices Mundiais:

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What we do in life (present) echoes in eternity (future)



This is the first time I post something related to my personal interests. I'm starting this post with this music because now I can enjoy myself a little bit (I'm on vacation). Here is a big, magnificent, splendid work from Antonín Leopold Dvořák that I appreciate a lot. It's a combination of energy and calmness at the same time as we hear the movements and by the way,  I listen to this concert almost everyday!
However, this is just a plus. The main subject of this post is related to a  meeting I had with the course director to talk about the classes and the progress of the course because I'm the class representative of my class.
At that time, students were complaining about early readings for class that the teacher was demanding. They believed that it was not necessary and that the teacher should not force that kind of reading. So he started to ask questions during the class about the previous readings and nobody was able to answer it and consequently asking them to leave the class.
As a class representative, I told the problem to the director and he very was skeptical about it, I could see his face expressing anger and intolerance. He told me that the readings were part of the learning agreement we signed when we enter college and he drew on the blackboard a graph explaining how important is to keep reading and what were the probabilites to success following that step. That graph was derived from a study which I forgot the authors but that graph I would never forget so I would like to share this with you:


He told me that people will just be able to be on the top of a big organization if they study a lot to develop their conceptual skills. Those positions require a lot of reading to be able to have an eficient discussion, follow tendencies and think strategically. He also said that at that time we will responsible to give the gidelines to the company's future, that's why the directors need a lot ot conceptual skills.
At the end of the meeting he gave me an advice: "Marcel, try to pass that message to your class and don't worry about the results. We can distingish early on who will or won't succeed."

No comments:

Post a Comment